C.H. Lebold Mansion- 106 N. Vine, Abilene, Kansas
Lebold Mansion is a Victorian-era house,The mansion was built in 1880 by banker Conrad Lebold. Constructed of native Kansas limestone, it is considered to be one of the finest Victorian decorative art museums in the midwest. Lebold Mansion was added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1973.
The museum has been featured in Victorian Homes Magazine and Victorian Decorating Magazine. The Lebold Mansion has recently undergone an extensive restoration by the company Victorian Interiors of San Francisco, Ca. Owners Gary Yuschalk and Larkin Mayo have returned it to the decorative style's popular in the 1880s. Its 23 rooms have been redecorated with period furniture, wallpaper, drapes, etc.
In 1857 Tim and Eliza Hersey, the founders and first inhabitants of Abilene, built a stone dugout in the location where the Lebold Mansion stands today. The Hersey dugout was incorporated into the construction of the mansion's tower and is preserved as part of the foundation located at the tower's base. Tour patrons still can view the dugout when touring the home.
The Mansion has served many purposes in its existence. In 1920 it was used by the local phone company as a boarding house for telephone operators. In 1930 it became an orphanage and during World War II it became a boarding house for soldiers. It then served as an apartment building in the 1940s-60s as a place for local families to start their lives anew after the war and finally an apartment building from 1940-1970. It has survived amazingly intact and has been under constant upkeep and restoration as a historic house museum since 1973.
The museum closed to all tours in June 2010 and was sold to new owners as a private residence on 9/15/10.